Creating a custom Material preview scene

How do we set up a custom scene for developing materials? This is a followup to the problem I was trying to solve in this post, now with a better subject line:

Why a custom scene? The sphere is not an ideal test shape for many materials, and the default scene has a pronounced blue cast to the lighting environment. That’s a 50% gray matte material but it sure looks blue, doesn’t it?

Step one, the Model
Pick a model that’s a better fit for the materials you’ll be developing.
1A: In the LOGIC panel, create an Attribute of type Asset / Material. Name it “Asset”
As far as I can tell this won’t work unless you use the name “Asset” throughout. :frowning:

1B: Create a new rule with Action: Set Material. Fill out the rule to set [mesh name] to attribute [attribute name]. Click “Done”

continued…

1 Like

Step Two, the Scene
Create a scene, add lighting to taste. (I like to use a simple HDRI with a big area light on one side, and an empty room elsewhere. Makes it easier to see how reflections work, how glancing-angle effects like fresnel falloff and sheen work.)

Add the model from step 1 to the Scene Objects. You can add more than one object, and not every object needs to get its material replaced. I like to use a “color calibration object” in the Scene to confirm my lighting is behaving as desired.

2A: In the LOGIC panel, create an Attribute of type Asset/Material, also named “Asset”

2B: Create a new rule with Action: Set Material. Set [model name(s)] to attribute [attribute name]. You can add more than one model to this rule, and it will override the material on all of them.

Don’t forget to click “Done” :wink:

continued…

1 Like

Step Three, The STAGE

Create a new stage. ​(for whatever reason, stages are a separate category of thing from Assets, and don’t live in the Assets structure)

3A: Add an Attribute of type “Part Reference” and name it “Asset”. Leave the “values” field blank.

3B: Set Visualization > 3D Asset to the Scene asset you created in step 2

3C: Click “Save stage”

…almost done…

Step Four, Player Settings
In the sidebar, navigate to Settings > Player

In “Default Stages”, set the Material slot to the name of the stage you created

Click “Save Settings” (very important, easy to overlook!)

1 Like

And now, when you work on your materials, you’ll be doing with a model and lighting setup of your choice!

1 Like