What is the "Sprite" operator and can you lock its orientation?

I am trying to add a reference image to my scene so that I can position my model correctly. I found the sprite operator but I couldn’t find any information on it. It seems to be what I want however, when I move around in the viewport, the image also rotates around. Is there a way to fix its orientation within the scene so it doesn’t move when I move my model/camera?

Hi Julia, there is some information on Sprites in our release notes here.

Sprite nodes have been added to Model and Scene assets. Sprites are used to display Texture assets that always face the camera.

By creating a Sprite in my scene, I am able to apply an image to it and it is fixed in my viewport. Is that what you are trying to achieve? If so, can you take a screenshot of your Sprite parameters and post them here?

Hi Will, thanks for the help!

I basically just want to import an image as a plane behind my model so I can position it correctly and then delete the image. The sprite operator was the only thing sort of similar but it doesn’t stay completely fixed. As I rotate around my viewport it basically follows my camera like that note says. Is there a way I can just import an image as a fixed plane that won’t follow my camera?

Here is a screenshot of what I had set up

Can I ask what positioning the model in front of the plane does?

You can’t import an image directly to the scene but you can do this:

1. Create a material and use the image you want as the base image
  2. In your scene, create a box and use the scale tool to create a plane shape and position it where you’d like
  3. Apply the material you created in step 1
  4. When you’re done, just delete the box

Let me know if this puts you on the right track!

1 Like

That is a smart little work around thank you!

I am just used to using reference images when modeling in my other software. Usually you can import an image as a plane, make it transparent and then use it to model or position things accordingly.

But that should be a decent trick to use, I will let you know if it works out! Not a huge deal if not :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great, let me know if I can help with anything else!

That worked well! Thanks for the help!!

1 Like