How to remove default Lighting

Hello All,

we have a model for which we need to take a snapshot from the top view. we notied there is a default lighting thats coming on the top. is there a way we can disable this light and only have the light from the scene environment file.

Hi Prashant,

Threekit provides a way for you to define your own default lighting or assign scenes to specific catalog items in the Threekit Player.

To do both of these methods, you must create a scene asset. Then link that scene asset to a stage. I will write the steps below.

Creating A Stage

1. Create a scene. Add any lighting, scene settings or camera you want. Go to the scene setting to adjust things like HDR, default camera, SAO and player background. Scene settings are found in the top of the hierarchy panel.
    Scene-Settings

2. If you would like to link to an HDR map, look in the scene properties panel on the right side of the editor under Environment. Link to HDR asset you would like to use.

3. After adjusting the scene to your liking. You must create an Asset Rule. This step is vital because it is how many assets will be referenced into the scene. First, drag a model asset into your scene. This is going where all model assets are placed. It will look like the image below. At this point, I personally like to rename the model asset to assetPartRef and unlink the model under the properties panel.

Renamed

4. Next, go into your Logic tab. Click Add Attribute select Asset. Name your attribute Asset and select type Model. This attribute needs to be named Asset or it will not work correctly.

5. Now you must create a rule for the Asset attribute. Go to Rules select Add Rules. Select Add Action then set model. Set your model asset node to the Asset attribute. Save and exit the scene asset.

6. Go into the Stages section of the platform. Click Add stage.

7. Under Visualization link to the scene asset you just created.
    Visualization

8. On the stage you must add the Asset rule in order for it to work correctly. Select Add an Attribute and Part Reference. Name it Asset. Save your stage.

Now you can plug-in your Stage to be defaulted on every asset or defaulted on specific catalog items. I will show you both ways.

Defining New Default Stage

1. Go to Settings and click Player Settings

2. Under Default Stages link your new stage to Model. Save your settings. Your new stage should be the default now.

Defining Stage on Catalog Items

1. Select a catalog item and edit it.

2. Under Default Stage link to new stage. Now this catalog item will use the desired stage as a default.

Hope that was helpful. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Hello Nicole we have created a scene asset and applied the environment file. i have cloned the same for testing,

1. Is it really required to create stage?
  2. Because in our case we have created 3 cameras in the scene and it is passed as a parameter from CI to the scene. Accordingly the customer will see the view. if we go with stage option then we can’t have parameters in the scene.
  3. The light that is coming in the top view only.

@npremo , i found the issue it was the environment file. i will fix it.

1. Is it really required to create stage?
  2. Because in our case we have created 3 cameras in the scene and it is passed as a parameter from CI to the scene. Accordingly the customer will see the view. if we go with stage option then we can’t have parameters in the scene.

Prashant can you elaborate on what you mean by not being able to put parameters in the scene? It is best practice to keep your catalog item with configurable attributes separate from your scenes and stages. Scenes should be used to house things like cameras and lighting.

Hello Will

we have 2 scenarios

1. For one client he want to take snapshot from three different angles. We have added 3 cameras , Top , Side , and Default in the scene. To chose the camera we have added a string attribute. based on the string value the Active camera is changed, So we need to expose attribute in scene.
  2. We have shadow box created in the scene. BAsed on some rules, shadowbox need to be hide and shown. For that again we need Attribute in scene.
  3. IF we go with Scene and stage approach , it can only have one parameter “Asset”. on our case the view port will have 2 models. the user can chose either of one to create varinats. in this scenario how we will pass 2 model value to the scene as it only take one paramater.

I see. And was Nicole’s answer helpful in resolving your lighting issue?

@Will Yes will, nicole response helped. we were following the similar approach and found the issue in the HDR file.

1 Like